AFC Liverpool

Abbey Hey 2 v 3 AFC Liverpool - Match Result

A late strike from Karl Gornell saw AFC Liverpool finally claim all three points after Abbey Hey had gotten themselves back on level terms having been 2-0 down.

Two second half goals from Jamie Dickinson had cancelled out Gornell’s opener and a Steve Corris penalty, in a game where it seemed as though missed chances would cost the Reds.

AFC Liverpool dominated the opening proceedings, with recent signing David Mather a persistent problem for the Abbey Hey defence and he came close to opening the scoring when his twenty yard strike clipped the top of the bar with Antal Tompos just managing to get his fingertips to the effort. From the resulting corner Jack Sinnott should have done better when the ball came all the way through to him but he got his angles wrong and blasted wide.

AFC Liverpool got the breakthrough their play merited on twenty five minutes when Mather’s cross picked out Gornell on the edge of the area and the Reds’ winger finished with a crisp volley into the bottom corner.

A minute later Sinnott should have doubled the Reds’ advantage but he poked the ball wide with only Tompos to beat and a minute before the break, Mather fired over from six yards when coming onto a Shaun Chart cross.

After the break, the game continued in much the same vein, with Mather unable to keep his volley down following a fine move, Chart volleying just wide from a poor clearance and then Mather forcing Tompos into punching away his shot.

When Corris converted from the spot after a rather harsh handball decision against Luke Gibson, it seemed the points were in the bag. However once Dickinson had forced the ball over the line following a scrappy corner, the hosts were infused with a renewed determination and chances then became prevalent at both ends.

Phil Stafford forced Tompos into a flying save, Kieran Quinn almost profited as the Abbey Hey defence failed to deal with a Corris corner while at the other end Martin Pilkington leapt above everyone to get onto the end of Scott Holt’s cross only see his header come back off the foot of the post.

The equaliser, when it came, was a well worked move, starting with James Moran in his own half and finishing with Dickinson beating Jack Baker at his near post.

Just as it appeared as though AFC Liverpool had thrown away the chance to get within a point of the top two, Gornell restored the Reds’ lead, beautifully controlling an up and under from Sean Ferguson before firing low into the corner from the edge of the area.

Abbey Hey 2-3 AFC Liverpool

Dickinson 68′ 75′        Gornell 25′ 84′ Corris (p) 63′

Attendance: 72

AFC Liverpool: 1.Jack Baker 2.Benjamin Fletcher 3.Phil Stafford (C) 4.Paddy O’Driscoll (15.David Derefaka 80′) 5.Darren Torpey 6.Shaun Chart (16.Sean Ferguson 80′) 7.Karl Gornell 8.Kieran Quinn 9.Jack Sinnott 10.Steve Corris 11.David Mather
Unused Subs: 12.Neil Jones 14.Stephen McCluskie

Abbey Hey: 1.Antal Tompos 2.Andrew Lavendis 3.Daniel Hewitt 4.Luke Gibson (C) 5.James Moran 6.Jamie Dickinson 7.Thomas Murphy (15.Scott Holt 75′) 8.Andrew Kilheeney (13.Matthew Bunting 85′) 9.Darren Green 10. Daniel McKeever (14.Martin Pilkington 60′) 11.John Hardy
Unused Subs: 12.Sam Jones 16.Michael Kennedy

Posted by:  karlos         Date:  November 6, 2010         Popularity:  865 views

Related Items

  • No Related Post