AFC Liverpool

AFC Blackpool 1-2 AFC Liverpool

AFC Liverpool battled their way to a victory against AFC Blackpool in the simmering cauldron of the Mechanics Ground. A wonder strike from Steve Jones and a typical opportunistic striker’s goal from Aaron Stafford saw the Reds come from behind to win for the second successive game after Ben Waddington had given  the hosts an early lead.

With swirling winds, an uneven pitch, vociferous claims of injustice and persecution, a managerial sending off (Stuart Parker, the AFC Blackpool manager) and too many free kicks to allow a flowing game of football to be played, the Reds had to dig deep within themselves to fight for the three points, especially after they allowed AFC Blackpool to dominate the opening twenty minutes.

By the time that the hosts took the lead they should have already been two goals to the good. On five minutes, defensive errors presented Jason Dodwell with the opportunity to claim the opening goal but his effort came crashing back off the frame of the goal. However, Waddington looked at certainty to punish AFC Liverpool as the ball dropped to him but with the goal at his mercy his attempt smashed into the advertising hoardings above the stand.

Three minutes later the same two players combined as Dodwell broke down the right to set up Waddington but his shot was too close to Jack Baker, who only managed to parry the ball into the path of Dodwell. Like his team mate earlier, he slid in with the goal unguarded but blasted over the bar.

When the opening goal finally arrived on seventeen minutes, it came from book of classic counterattacks. Keeper Andrew Speight collected a Steve Corris free kick and then kicked long downfield to find Matthew Muscroft. After getting the ball under control, he slid an inch perfect pass for Waddington, who rounded Baker before slotting home.

Under the cosh and struggling to find a foothold in the game, AFC Liverpool equalised on thirty minutes out of the blue. Callum Tai-Hogan, on the touchline fifteen yards in the AFC Blackpool half knocked the ball inside to Jones, who lined himself up before unleashing a forty yard strike that flew over the back-pedalling Speight into the top corner.

Back in the game, the Reds began to impose themselves more on the opposition and almost took the lead going into the break when Karl Gornell’s shot on the turn flashed past the upright with Speight rooted to his spot.

For the second Saturday in a row, Aaron Stafford scored within minutes of the restart. Darren Torpey’s long throw in was nodded on by Jones and Stafford raced into the area, sliding the ball past the advancing Speight.

Now that the Reds had the advantage and the belief that they could battle as hard as the opposition, the second half became a war of attrition. A succession of free kicks littered the game and chances for both sides were limited. Gornell and Jones fired over from distance for AFC Liverpool whilst AFC Blackpool were limited to two efforts that were comfortable saves for Baker.

AFC Blackpool 1-2 AFC Liverpool
Waddington 17’          Jones 30’
A. Stafford 50’

Attendance: 129

AFC Liverpool: 1.Jack Baker 2.Paddy O’Driscoll 3.Darren Torpey 4.Stephen McCluskie 5.David Derefaka (12.Conor Murphy 72’(15.Jack Sinnot 88’)) 6.Callum Tai-Hogan (16.River Humphries 64’) 7.Karl Gornell 8.Phil Stafford 9.Steven Jones 10.Steven Corris 11.Aarron Stafford
Unused Sub: 14. James Rushton-Woods

AFC Blackpool: 1.Andrew Speight 2.Paul Carroll 3.James Walker 4.David McEvoy 5.Kevan Ford 6.Martin Baird (12.Mark Ashall 80’) 7.Jason Dodwell 8.Matthew Muscroft (C) 9.Niall Cummins 10.Ben Waddington 11.Stephen Betteridge (14.Marc Beattie 85’)
Unused Subs: 15. Liam Hill - 16. Jake Darnell

Picture © Dave Williams

Posted by:  afclpapakuz         Date:  September 4, 2010         Popularity:  960 views

Related Items

  • No Related Post