AFC Liverpool

AFC Liverpool 0 v 1 Leek CSOB - Result

On the Saturday of the ‘Mathew Street Festival, AFC Liverpool played Leek CSOB in this NWCL Division 1 clash; the latest chapter on the long and winding road that is the route to promotion from the NWCL Division 1.

In front of a partizan home crowd the Reds hoped to continue their excellent early season form which had seen them climb to the top of the league with a 100% record without conceding a goal.

Unfortunately it wasn’t to be; in blustery conditions they were unable to breakdown a well organised Leek team. The visitors, well marshalled at the back, also had their attacking moments and caused their hosts more than a few problems.

AFC Liverpool started the match with their usual attacking formation which included Ryan Wignall and Andy McCoy the two wide men who arguably had been their most influential players so far this season. In an effort to stop this attacking presence the Leek team employed five defenders from the start and who could blame them.

The early stages suggested that this was going to be a game of different styles and that’s the way it continued throughout. Surprisingly it was Leek who had most of the possession in the first fifteen minutes with their captain Hyde pulling the strings in midfield and having two early efforts on goal.

The Reds began to find their feet and were unlucky when a 17th minute corner was scrambled away by a Leek defender; four minutes later McCoy cut in from the right and hit a fine shot that was beaten away by Leek keeper Hackney. The visitors came back and believed that they should have had a penalty when Coulson looked to have been tripped by the home goalkeeper Willis.

In the 33rd minute a disputed throw in on the edge of the AFC Liverpool penalty area resulted indirectly to the only goal of the game for the visitors. Initially the Ref’s Asst awarded the throw in to the Reds only for his senior colleague to over rule the decision. From this Leek won a free kick which was sent over by Hyde and headed unopposed into the Reds net by the visitors centre half Barlow.

The remainder of the surprisingly long first half was dominated by the home side; however despite fine efforts from Ryan Wignall and Joe Evans the score remained the same. This continued into the second half with several near misses from goal mouth scrambles and a marvellous 30 yard shot by Andy McCoy which hit a post.

However it was not all one way as the visitors had a few breakaways that could have easily led to goals on other occasions. Current form had suggested that continued possession from AFC Liverpool would bring an equaliser and maybe even a win but that was not to be the case even with help from substitutions and the added presence of Liam Coyne in attack.

This defeat is not a calamity by any means and the Reds can get back to winning ways in a busy September which sees them next at home against Dinnington in the FA Vase; the ‘Road to Wembley’.

Posted by:  karlos         Date:  August 29, 2009         Popularity:  156 views

Related Items

  • No Related Post