AFC Liverpool

AFC Liverpool 0 v 2 Glossop North End - Result

AFC Liverpool bowed out of the Vodkat League Cup after going down 2-0 at home to Glossop North End.

It was a resilient performance from the Reds, especially as they had to play the majority of the second half with only 10 men following the dismissal of Liam Coyne for a professional foul.
The first half was a fairly tight affair, continuing much in the same vein as the first tie, with Glossop having the better of the possession and the chances and AFC Liverpool defending resolutely and looking to hit the visitors on the break.
Glossop should have taken the lead on ten minutes. Matthew Cooper’s goal kick was flicked on inside the centre circle and Andrew Hurst raced through into the area unchallenged. With time to pick his spot, his shot was weak and too close to Paul Willis, allowing the AFC Liverpool keeper to make the save. Willis was also called into action to deny Jason Gorton and Adam Oakes, both with low drives from just inside the area.
At the other end, Glossop keeper Cooper was rarely troubled. Matthew Williams had an early chance when he robbed Martin Parker on the edge of the area following an Andy McCoy corner. Unfortunately for the Reds midfielder, his shot was straight at Cooper.
AFC Liverpool started the second half the brightest. Ian Orme went close from a Phil Stafford cross and Lanre Giwa’s turn and shot had Cooper scrambling across his goal.
However, the Reds were once again the instigators of their own demise. Stafford slid in to block a pass intended for Oakes and as the ball rolled into the area, Hurst was the quickest to react. He got in front of Coyne and as he advanced on Willis, the AFC Liverpool captain caught Hurst from behind and the Glossop man went tumbling. The referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot and in producing a red card to dismiss Coyne.
David Young took the resultant penalty kick and his effort went straight down the middle of the goal and into the back of the net as Willis dived to his right.
With a man advantage, Glossop did not really make it pay until the final ten minutes as the Reds worked hard to make up for the shortfall. Before that though, the home side had two wonderful opportunities to equalise.
Dean Thurston, making his first start since rejoining AFC Liverpool, saw his header from eight yards sail over the bar when he was unchallenged from a McCoy cross. Shortly after, Giwa wriggled his way through the Glossop defence and was unlucky to see his effort hit the side netting.
As the match drew to a conclusion and Red legs tired, Glossop began to finally dominate and create chances. Willis saved from Jordan McNally and thrice denied Alexander Elliot but could not prevent Darren Hamilton from scoring a second for the visitors.

AFC Liverpool 0-2 Glossop North End
Young (p) 55’
Hamilton 86’

Attendance: 152

AFC Liverpool: 1.Paul Willis 2.Phil Stafford 3.Darren Torpey 4.Conor Murphy 5.Liam Coyne (C) 6.Ian Orme (12.Lee Mullin 57’) 7.Tod Bamber 8.Matty Williams 9.Dean Thurston (14.Charles Opare 85’) 10.Lanre Giwa 11.Andy McCoy
Unused Subs: 15. David Ojapah GK Sam Wilkinson

Glossop NE: 1.Matthew Cooper 2.David Young 3.Jamie Kay 4.Jason Gorton 5.Daniel Yates (C) 6.Kelvin Lugsden 7.Richard Bailey 8.Thomas Bailey (14. Alexander Elliot 62’) 9.Andrew Hurst (12.Darren Hamilton 73’) 10.Martin Parker (16.Jordan McNally 57’) 11.Adam Oakes
Unused Sub: 15. David Morris

Posted by:  karlos         Date:  February 21, 2010         Popularity:  315 views

Related Items

  • No Related Post