AFC Liverpool

AFC Liverpool 1-2 Atherton LR

AFC Liverpool remain at the bottom of the table after going down 2-1 at home to Atherton LR.

Two-one down at the break, the Reds dominated the second half but couldn’t find a goal that would have at least earned them the draw, which is the least they deserved.

It was an explosive start to the match, with the Reds on the attack from the kick off, and after Joseph Brobbin failed to hold Shaun Chart’s shot, Steven Jones squared for Shaun Gardner, who found the back of the net only for the goal to be ruled out for a contentious offside.

However, all momentum gained was lost two minutes later as a simple ball down the middle by Chris Lomax allowed Adam Parkhouse to steal in ahead of Andrew Mawdsley and Damien Eastham to poke the ball under the advancing keeper to give the visitors the lead.

Undeterred, the Reds worked their way back into the match. Darren Torpey fired wide from long range and Jones saw his direct free kick miss by a couple of yards before he blasted over from the corner of the six yard box after Gardner had made a nuisance of himself.

On twenty five minutes another Jones free kick was turned over by Brobbin and from the resulting short corner, Chart’s cross was deftly guided into the corner by Jones to level the scores.

Parity restored, the Reds’ defence now switched off as another ball down the middle from Lomax found Alex Stoddern but attempting to lob Eastham from the edge of the area, he fluffed his chance and the ball rolled harmlessly wide. The Reds didn’t learn their lesson though and five minutes later another ball through the middle broke for Stoddern and this time he kept his composure to round Eastham to restore his side’s lead.

It could have been worse for the Reds sixty seconds later as Eastham raced off his line to close down Max Haubus as he raced in on goal and then on the stroke of half time the Reds’ keeper produced a wonderful fingertip save to deny Ryan Duffy who struck sweetly from twenty five yards.

AFC Liverpool came out after the break, determined to get something from the game and were on the front foot from the re-start. Chart shot wide and then Stephen Williams was clattered to the ground by Gareth Grant’s challenge but all appeals for a penalty were ignored by the referee. Jack Sinnot then set up Chart but he dragged his shot wide and then Brobbin produced a fine save to deny Jones before the Reds’ striker got his header all wrong as he met Chart’s cross unchallenged. When Sinnott found Francis Barry in space inside the area, Reds’ fans thought the equaliser was coming but they didn’t reckon with Brobbin as he kept the home side at bay once again.

In the final minute of injury time, with the Reds pushed forward and down to ten men following an injury to Jones, Stoddern produced a fine run before placing his effort under Eastham but a whisker the wrong side of the upright, but that would have been even more harsh on AFC Liverpool, who still wait for their first win of the season.

AFC Liverpool 1-2 Atherton LR
Jones 26′              Parkhouse 3′ Stoddern 33′

Attendance: 122

AFC Liverpool: 1.Damien Eastham 2.Andrew Mawdsley (15.Jack Sinnott 58′) 3.Darren Torpey 4.Anthony Brown (C) 5.Mark Brown 6.Stephen Groves 7.Steven Williams 8.James Foley (16.Stephen Edwards 81′) 9.Steven Jones 10.Shaun Gardner (12. Francis Barry 66′) 11.Shaun Chart
Unused Subs: 14.Callum Tai-Hogan GK.Joshua Molloy
Atherton L.R.: 1.Joseph Brobbin 2.Ryan Taylor 3.Ben Voyro (12.Gareth Cook 76′) 4.Gareth Grant (C) 5.Simon Pendlebury 6.Ryan Duffy 7.Adam Parkhouse 8.Alex Stoddern 9.Chris Lomax 10.Max Haubus 11.Andrew Griffiths (16.Michael Chester 83′)
Unused Subs: 14.Papis Gaye 15.Danny Hastings 17.Alex Gavan
Photo courtesy of Dave Williams.

Posted by:  afclpapakuz         Date:  September 17, 2011         Popularity:  685 views

Related Items

  • No Related Post