AFC Liverpool

AFC Liverpool 3 - 2 Cheadle Town - Match Result

AFC Liverpool secured a long overdue win with goals from Bamber, Parkes and new signing Karl Gornell.

AFC Liverpool recorded their first home league victory since September last year and ended a run of seven matches without a win after they beat Cheadle Town 3-2.
The Reds started the brightest and took the lead on three minutes through Tod Bamber. As the Cheadle Town defence looked to build from the back, the Reds’ midfielder picked off a loose pass from Anthony Kirkham, burst through Adam Roberts’ challenge and slotted the ball past a static Anthony O’Keefe.
Following the early strike, the home side enjoyed the majority of the possession but found it difficult to create clear cut chances. Chris Parkes came the closest to extending the lead when he wriggled his way through the Cheadle defence only to see his shot flash past the upright.
Out of the blue though, the visitors were level. The Reds were unable to clear their lines following a rare Cheadle Town attack. The ball ended up with Andrew Lindon at the left corner of the area and his right footed curler flew into the far top corner past a stranded Paul Willis.
Unexpectedly pegged back, AFC Liverpool refused to let their heads drop and continued to force the visitors onto the back foot but couldn’t regain the lead.
Liam Coyne’s header rebounded back off the bar, Dean Thurston was denied by a fine reaction save from O’Keefe and Bamber wasn’t far away from grabbing his second of the match when his half volley from the edge of the area whistled past the upright.
Following the trend of recent games, AFC Liverpool suffered a wobbly start to the second period. A lack of communication between Coyne and Willis presented Joe Yoffe with an opportunity to give the visitors the lead. Fortunately for the Reds, his effort from the edge of the area failed to find the target. Minutes later, Adam Roberts went close with a volley from the edge of the area when the ball dropped to him as the Reds defended a free kick.
Surviving the scares, the home side’s advantage was restored soon after by Chris Parkes. Receiving the ball on the edge of the area, he feinted to shoot, selling the dummy to two onrushing Cheadle defenders, before finishing with a low left footed drive into the far corner.
The lead retaken, AFC Liverpool’s confidence visibly soared and they returned to the fast free flowing football that had marked the early part of the campaign.
Parkes’ near post effort was saved by O’Keefe and moments later Bamber clipped the post after being played in by the returning John Kennedy.
The Reds’ dominance eventually paid dividends as Karl Gornell grabbed his first goal for the club on seventy six minutes. A Conor Murphy free kick into the Cheadle area dropped to the winger and he hooked the ball over his shoulder and it bounced in off the far post.
With that, the result appeared to be settled but three minutes later, Cheadle Town pulled a goal back. McCormack’s cross fell right on the six yard box and Lindon sneaked in unchallenged to finish with a simple tap in.
With nervous tension ratcheted up just a little, the Reds managed to see out the final ten minutes as Cheadle Town failed to put them under any pressure. The away side only created one half chance and even then Lindon’s volley went out for a throw in.
A victory that had been a long time coming was finally secured and hopefully will be the catalyst for a concerted surge for the remainder of the season.

Match Report by Papakuz

Posted by:  chris08         Date:  March 10, 2010         Popularity:  324 views

Related Items

  • No Related Post