3Stone Dominoes333368
4AFC Liverpool334267
As of: 03/05/09 08:18

AFC Liverpool with great performance against promotion rivals

AFC Liverpool 4 - Stone Dominoes 1

AFC Liverpool put in a good performance to beat Stone on Wednesday night to keep in contention for a top two finish. Defeat would have all but ended AFC’s promotion hopes and it was going to be no easy task given that Stone occupied third place before the game on the back of a twelve game winning run. 

AFC got off to a great start when Liam Coyne’s header across goal from a free kick was headed over the keeper and into the net by Mark Bloxam. Coyne then went close himself but his header from a corner went over and Andy McCoy hit a shot that glanced against the crossbar as AFC showed no sign of any nerves. Stone didn’t have a real opportunity till near the end of the first half but the shot went wide, with AFC comfortably in control as the half time whistle blew.

The Reds went 2-0 up early in the second half, a Stone defender volleying the ball past his own keeper after being put under pressure by Dean Thurston. However five minutes later Stone gave themselves a lifeline when they scored at the second attempt after Paul Willis had failed to hold the first shot. This spurred Stone briefly and they hit the post before AFC regained the offensive and McCoy had a shot saved and another go wide. 

With fifteen minutes remaining it was 3-1, Phil Ojapah forcing his way into the area then unselfishly laying off for McCoy to tap home into an empty net. Ojapah was then forced off for five minutes of treatment due to a bloody nose. Ryan Wignall had a penalty appeal turned down before wrapping things up in injury time, running on to a long clearance by Bloxam and firing home.

The win lifted the Reds into third place above Stone on goal difference. However crucially second place Padiham remain two points ahead of AFC with a game in hand.

AFC Liverpool’s next game is home to Chadderton FC on Saturday 2nd May. Kick Off 3pm.

(April 29, 2009)