1Stone Dom 91321
2Leek CSOB91119
3AFC Liv 81818
As of: 04/10/09 15:00

news now

Chadderton 2 v 2 AFC Liverpool (Cup)

AFC Liverpool face a replay in the Vodkat League Challenge Cup, after they battled to a hard earned 2-2 draw against Chadderton at Andrew Street.
A late goal from substitute Lanre Giwa saved AFC Liverpool from an embarrassing defeat against a team who have failed to win a home game all season.
AFC Liverpool began the game brightly with plenty of pace and movement from Dean Thurston and David Ojapah which nearly paid off in the very first minute, after clever play between the front two and Phillip Stafford resulted in a chance for Todd Bamber, who took aim from the edge of the penalty area but rolled it weakly into the arms of Chadderton goalkeeper Lee Swanson.
Early impetus in the game was spoiled by referee William Slinger who seemed intent in slowing the pace of the game down, blowing his whistle at every given opportunity. AFC Liverpool played into his hands through continuous giving away of cheap free kicks in all areas of the park, and this summed up a completely lacklustre first half between two compact and cramped midfields.
AFC Liverpool returned after the break with more determination and fighting spirit and nearly took the lead through a rampaging Phillip Stafford who fired over from a Paul Willis free kick.
The away side took the lead shortly after the hour mark, the impressive Mark Bloxam brought the ball cleverly out of defence and laid the ball into Dean Thurston, who had time and space to fire a shot at Lee Swanson which he awkwardly spilt to Steve Corris, who seized upon the ball, but was hauled down by Liam Radcliffe. The referee pointed instantly to the spot, and presented John Kennedy with the chance to increase his goal tally to five for the season with another top class penalty fired high into the roof of the net.
AFC Liverpool again lost defensive concentration to let Chadderton back into the match.  Defending an out swinging corner River Humphreys clumsily pushed Leon Walters with the referee happy to point to the penalty spot. Leon Walters dusted himself off and placed the ball in the bottom right hand corner to level the game up.
A tired Steve Corris was replaced by Charlie Opare as Liverpool attempted to end the game in 90 minutes but it was to be extra time to try and decide this finely balanced contest.
Manager Derek Goulding was proactive during the extra time period bringing on Lanre Giwa to replace a quiet David Ojapah. However, AFC Liverpool were extremely unimpressive during the first fifteen minutes as they sat too deep and invited pressure on to themselves and nearly paid the price as John Jones headed just over.
The beginning of the second period brought instant success for Chadderton as right back Danny Shaw went past Opare and drifted a ball across to the back post and found Gareth Morris, who laid the ball into Ian Hulme who scored from six yards - the goal stood despite the strong suspicion of offside.
Chadderton could have finished the game off as AFC Liverpool were hit on the counter attack. A long ball from Danny Shaw found striker Daniel Bell who scurried after the ball before lobbing Paul Willis, the ball dribbled just wide of the post. The chance seemed to shake AFC Liverpool and they responded with real character to get the equalising goal through Lanre Giwa. John Kennedy pumped a 40 yard ball into the edge of the area headed by Phillip Stafford into the path of Giwa who stabbed the ball underneath the goalkeeper in the 116th minute,  to earn the side a replay.
Derek Goulding said:
“I thought yet again that the officials ruined a perfectly good game of football. However, I think we thoroughly deserve a replay and I am pretty confident we can progress in the competition.”

Match report courtesy of ADAM SHEIL.

(October 11, 2009)