2AFC Liverpool273555
4Wigan R P242046
As of: 30/03/09 18:40

Daisy Hill v AFC Liverpool match report

Daisy Hill 3 - AFC Liverpool 2

AFC Liverpool has their hearts broken at Daisy Hill last Saturday, scoring twice in a minute to come back from 2-0 down only to lose out to a late goal as they chased the winner.

The Reds started off the better side only to see Daisy Hill score from their first attack, Cartrdidge firing home. The rest of the first half was one way traffic, with the best chance falling to Dave Eaton but his shot was straight at the keeper, whilst Liam Coyne headed just over the bar from a corner.

A minute before half time Daisy Hill extended their lead in controversial circumstances, the referee waving play on after Mark Gregory went down injured with what later turned out to be a broken nose. As the Reds protested Farrell was able to exploit the Reds lack of numbers and turn the ball into an empty net.

Craig Cushion came on for Gregory for the second half and the Reds were handed a lifeline just three minutes into it when a Daisy hill defender was red carded for deliberate hand ball and a penalty awarded. The defender hit his head on the post making the save causing a delay to the kick being taken and when it was James Dever’s effort cannoned off the corner of post and bar.

AFC continued to stay on top, with Steve Corris seeing a good shot turned away for a corner but it was the introduction of Andy Oslen with 20 minutes remaining that really raised the tempo.

The Reds persistence was finally rewarded with two goals in a minute seven minutes from time. First Olsen struck the ball home after a good run by Eaton and just a minute later a Coyne header drew the Reds level.

With Daisy Hill lying second bottom of the league and without a league win in three months, a draw was still a disappointing result and the Reds went for broke to secure three points. But as they pressed forward they were caught on the counter attack and Hodgkinson raced clear in the last minute to fire the ball past Jack Baker, leading to the home keeper racing the length of the filed to join the celebrations. At the final whistle the Reds side sunk to the floor, their dejected faces saying it all.

AFC Liverpool’s next game is away to fellow promotion chasers Wigan Robin Park on Tuesday 31 March. Kick Off 8pm.

(March 30, 2009)