AFC Liverpool

Flixton 2-1 AFC Liverpool

AFC Liverpool left Valley Road wondering how they didn’t secure their first win of the season after two late goals for the home side turned the result on it’s head.

A goal up, courtesy of Shaun Chart, with five minutes remaining, the Reds were looking comfortable but a forty yard free kick from Joshua Bowman levelled the score before Brian Matthews claimed the winner in the ninetieth minute.

Following last week’s defeat to Barnoldswick Town, Reds’ manager Paul Moore promised to make changes and he kept to his word as he gave starts to three new signings. Though short on creativity going forward, the team looked more cohesive as a unit and certainly put in a better and more competitive performance. The home side were restricted to one first half moment as Damien Eastham produced a fine double save to deny Chris Smith from close range.

At the other end, James Jowsey was relatively untroubled in the Flixton goal, only having to make a comfortable save from Stephen Groves’ twenty yard strike. After seven minutes Chart had had to stretch to connect with the ball as he raced onto Eastham’s long kick down field and consequently couldn’t direct his attempt on target. However, on the stroke of half time, he had no such concerns as he once again got onto the end of another long Eastham clearance and this time his chipped the ball over the oncoming Jowsey to give the Reds a lead for the first time this season.

The second half didn’t provide the watching faithful with much excitement as the ball spent most of it’s time in the middle third of the pitch. AFC Liverpool couldn’t find a strike on target, with Darren Torpey’s twenty five yard free kick was the closest they came to troubling the home side. Until the last five minutes,  all Flixton could offer in response was Ian Harrison’s shot from the edge of the area as the Reds struggled to clear a corner.

On eighty six minutes, options discussed by the home side about a free kick they’d been awarded were negated as Bowman spied an opportunity and with the wind in his favour, caught Eastham unawares as he found the top corner from fully forty yards.

If Reds’ fans though that was bad, it was to get worse four minutes later as Wayne Welbeck whipped in a cross that ricocheted off the thigh of Matthews which left Eastham stranded, able only to watch the ball dribble into the corner of the net.

It was a cruel twist of luck for AFC Liverpool that proved the old adage that when you’re struggling at the bottom of the table, nothing goes in your favour.

Flixton 2-1 AFC Liverpool
Bowman 86′                 Chart 45′
Matthews 90′

Attendance: 64

AFC Liverpool: 1.Damien Eastham 2.Phil Stafford (C) 3.Darren Torpey 4.Anthony Brown 5.Mark Brown 6.Stephen Groves 7.Steven Williams 8.Jack Sinnott 9.Shaun Gardner (14.Aaron Stafford 76′) 10.Shaun Chart (12.Francis Barry 69′) 11.James Foley (16.Andrew Mawdsley 80′)
Unused Subs: 15.Callum Tai-Hogan GK.Michael Christopher
Flixton: 1.James Jowsey 2.Ryan Marley 3.Phil Drummond 4.Jack Dickson (16.James Blair 67′) 5.Thomas Bailey 6.Aaron Hevingham (C) 7.Andrew Keogh (14.Joshua Bowman 23′) 8.Fintan Doran (18.Ian Harrison 70′) 9.Chris Smith 10.Wayne Welbeck 11.Brian Matthews
Unused Subs: 12.James Russell 15.Jake Williamson

Photo courtesy of Dave Williams.

Posted by:  afclpapakuz         Date:  September 10, 2011         Popularity:  638 views

Related Items

  • No Related Post