AFC Liverpool

Hemsworth MW 4-1 AFC Liverpool

Despite Steven Jones giving them the lead, AFC Liverpool’s FA Cup dream ended in disappointment, as they lost 4-1 away to Hemsworth Miners Welfare in the Extra Preliminary Round.

With the scores level at 1-1, two goals in three second half minutes from Wayne Harratt effectively sealed the win for the hosts, though his second had more than a hint of controversy about it. Damion Liddle’s header eight minutes later put the icing on the cake for Hemsworth after Paul Banton had brought them back into the game shortly before half time.

It was the first time that both teams had entered the world’s most famous knockout competition and after an edgy start, Red’s keeper Jack Baker was called into action to deny Liddle. From the resulting corner, the value of having a man on the post was shown as a Colin Williamson header was cleared off the line.

Having survived those early scares it was the Reds who took the lead on seventeen minutes when Jones fired a low drive from twenty five yards into the bottom corner.

With the goal advantage, AFC Liverpool took the game to their hosts. Joe Gibbons fired over from thirty yards and after good work by Francis Barry, Andy McCoy’s low drive to the near post forced Dale Walstow into a save. The Red’s winger was also unfortunate not to find the target as he came late onto Leon Quarless cross. Barry then had a glorious opportunity to extend the Reds’ lead when he raced onto Jones’ ball over the top but was denied by Walstow when one on one with the keeper.

On thirty five minutes, Hemsworth found their equaliser as Banton was the man on the spot to turn the ball home after Harratt’s header had come back off the post.

With the sun breaking through the clouds it was AFC Liverpool who began the second half the brightest. Jones and Barry fired a couple of early salvos but the Reds had to be thankful when Dawson’s header smashed into the bar and bounced down the right side of the goal line.

On the hour mark the game turned in favour of the hosts. Firstly River Humphryes was harshly judged to have brought down Liddle and Harratt dispatched the resultant spot kick. Then three minutes later, things became even more controversial. Following a quick free kick, Harratt came in unchallenged at the back post but saw his goalbound header saved by Baker, only for the officials to award the hosts a goal, claiming that Baker made the save behind the line.

With the Reds still reeling from being on the wrong end of those two decisions, they were unlucky not to get straight back into the game when Aaron Stafford’s fine first time strike from the edge of the area was brilliantly saved by Walstow.

All hopes of a comeback though were wiped out when Liddle rose unchallenged to head home from six yards, leaving Reds’ fans dreaming of better days ahead.

Hemsworth Miners Welfare 4-1 AFC Liverpool
Banton 35’                                 Jones 17’
Harratt 61 (p), 64’
Liddle 72’
Attendance: 252

AFC Liverpool: 1.Jack Baker 2.Phil Stafford (C) 3.Darren Torpey (18.Conor Murphy) 4.David Derefaka 5.Paddy O’Driscoll 6.Leon Quarless (Aaron Stafford 64’) 7.Andy McCoy 8.River Humphreys 9.Francis Barry (17.Karl Gornell 64’) 10.Joe Gibbons 11.Steven Jones
Unused Subs: 12.Andy Olsen 15.Callum Tai-Hogan 16.Stephen McCluskie

Hemsworth MW: 1.Dale Walstow 2.Tom Myers 3.Ross Haywood 4.Peter Hirst (15.William Kemp 82’) 5.Wayne Harratt (C) 6.Paul Banton 7.Andrew Hayward (16.Tom Grindel) 8.Lee Swift 9.Damion Liddle (12.Mike Spencer 90’) 10.Colin Williamson 11.Lee Dawson
Unused Subs: GK.Adam Tasker 14.Richard Clough

Posted by:  afclpapakuz         Date:  August 14, 2010         Popularity:  865 views

Related Items

  • No Related Post