AFC Liverpool

Irlam 3 v 3 AFC Liverpool - Match Report

AFC Liverpool put an end to four successive defeats with a 3-3 draw at Irlam. In a topsy turvy match, the Reds raced into a two goal lead but five minutes into the second half, they found themselves 3-2 down. Returning striker Dean Thurston grabbed AFC Liverpool’s third goal of the evening shortly afterwards as the Reds battled hard to fight out the draw.
With snow falling at Silver Street, AFC Liverpool forced an early breakthrough when Lanre Giwa was the quickest to react to a defensive mistake. A long ball from captain Liam Coyne wasn’t properly dealt with and the Reds number 9 raced onto the error, reaching the ball fractionally ahead of Irlam keeper Lee Lambert. As Giwa went flying after having been clipped by Lambert, he somehow managed to guide the ball into the back of the empty net.
Irlam wasted a glorious opportunity to equalise two minutes later. From a throw in, Matty Williams broke through a couple of challenges into the area. He squared it to the edge of the six yard box but Darren Green, sliding in, failed to direct his effort on target.
With both sides having each spurned a couple of half chances, AFC Liverpool extended their lead on 24 minutes. A long Darren Torpey free kick was picked up by Giwa and his layoff was met first time on the edge of the area by Tod Bamber. The midfielder’s crisp strike kept low and went beyond the reach of the diving Lambert into the bottom corner.
As the half progressed, AFC Liverpool gave away possession too cheaply and eventually paid for it as Irlam pulled a goal back shortly before half time. A cross in from the left was met on the turn by Matty Williams and his half volley flew past Paul Willis into the far corner.
Perceiving an injustice in the scoreline, Irlam raced out of the blocks and five minutes into the second half had turned the deficit around. Continuing a worrying trend of conceding soon after the restart, the Reds’ goal was breached on 48 minutes.
A cross from the right eventually found its way through to Green, who was unmarked inside the area. With the Reds’ defence claiming offside, the Irlam striker paid no heed and slid the ball under the advancing Willis.
Two minutes later, Irlam were ahead. A deep cross from the left touchline was eventually picked up by Williams out on the right. He laid the ball back across the area to pick out the unmarked Green and he duly grabbed his second of the match.
With Irlam looking to consolidate, they presented the visitors with a way back into the match on 57 minutes. An Andy McCoy free kick wasn’t dealt with effectively by the Irlam defence and the ball fell to Thurston, who scooped his effort from twelve yards into the top corner to score his first goal since rejoining AFC Liverpool earlier in the month.
At the end of a frenetic fifteen minute period Chris Palmer wasted a good opportunity to restore Irlam’s advantage. Latching onto a Williams cross, he skewed his effort wide when a firmer touch would have had Willis in trouble.
As the match settled down, both teams began to cancel each other out as each pressed for the winner. Neither keeper was seriously troubled as chances were limited to long range efforts, the best for the Reds coming from McCoy. Going on a mazy run, he was forced away from his favoured foot but his low drive from his right boot from the edge of the area had Lambert scrambling across his goal.
In the end, a draw was possibly a fair reflection of the night’s proceedings but it does either side little good in their respective hunts for promotion.

Attendance: 65

Irlam  3-3  AFC Liverpool
Williams 42’                    Giwa 6’
Green 48’, 50’           Bamber 24’
Thurston 57’

Report by Papakuz

Posted by:  karlos         Date:  February 24, 2010         Popularity:  237 views

Related Items

  • No Related Post