AFC Liverpool

Reds Go Down In Derby

AFC Liverpool ended up with eight men as two penalties and a controversial offside decision gave Bootle a 3-0 win at the Delta Taxis Stadium.

Unbeaten in twelve and top of the league, the hosts started as favourites and with the wind behind them they certainly had the advantage for the opening fifteen minutes. The Reds struggled to get out of their own half as but defensively they were proving themselves more than capable in dealing with Bootle’s long balls and for all their pressure the home side only had two Liam Blakeman efforts from the edge of the area that both sailed over the bar and an off target header from Jamie Hay as he met a Mark Kilroy free kick.

Once AFC Liverpool managed to maintain possession and keep the ball on the floor, they worked themselves back into the game and should have taken the lead through Steven Jones. Latching onto Shaun Harris’ through ball, Jones held off the challenge of Neil McQueen and with only David Moran to beat, the Reds’ striker dragged his shot wide of the goal.

With the contest evenly poised, the game turned on thirty eight minutes as AFC Liverpool’s self destructive instinct rose to the surface once again. Having just denied Daniel O’Connor the opening goal, Denis Barlow turned villain of the piece when he pushed over Kevin Black in an effort to claim the corner, allowing the Bootle man to give his side the lead from the spot.

Just as it appeared as though the Reds would go into the break one goal down, the home side controversially doubled their lead with the last action of the first half. Darren Byers raced onto Blakeman’s through ball and though he looked to be two yards offside the linesman’s flag wasn’t raised and the Bootle striker finished smartly with a measured shot over a stranded Barlow.

With the wind now in their favour the Reds came out for the second still in the game as they now pressurized the Bootle back line but like the home side in the first half, they never created any chances that tested the opposition’s keeper. Carl Furlong, Muktar Mahama and James Buckley all finished decent moves but none could find a strike on target and in a mirror image of the first half, it was Bootle who had the best chance as Byers was denied by Barlow following a quick counterattack.

Still, with fifteen minutes remaining the result was still in balance if the Reds could find a goal until Buckley received his second yellow card of the day for petulantly kicking the ball at O’Connor and ten men quickly became nine as Denis Barlow also received his second yellow as he took out Elvis Banyihwabe just inside the box as he raced onto O’Connor’s through ball. After his first attempt was ruled out for encroachment, Black scored his second penalty of the game, though AFC Liverpool manager Paul Moore, now in goal, almost made the save.

In the final minute Anthony Brown was given a straight red card for a challenge that appeared worthy of no more than a booking to end a miserable day for the Reds.

Bootle 3-0 AFC Liverpool
Black (p) 38′, (p) 80′
Byers 45′
Attendance: 183

AFC Liverpool: 1.Denis Barlow 2.Callum Tai-Hogan 3.Darren Torpey 4.Anthony Brown 5.Jack Sinnott 6.Carl Furlong (15.Joe Bennett 72′) 7.Shaun Harris 8.James Buckley 9.Steve Jones 10.Muktar Mahama (GK.Paul Moore 79′) 11.Steve Corris (C) (14.Aaron Carey 72′)
Unused Subs:12. Nevil Picton 16. Stephen Kelly
Bootle: 1.David Moran 2.Mark Kilroy 3.James O’Brien (14.James O’Brien 81′) 4.Neil McQueen 5.Sean Coulton (C) 6.Kevin Black 7.Liam Blakeman 8.Jamie Hay (17.Josh Essery 82′) 9.Daniel O’Connor 10.Darren Byers 11.Michael Young (16.Elvis Banyihwabe 73′)
Unused Subs:12. Lee Thompson 15.Anthony Miley

Photo courtesy of Dave Williams.

Posted by:  afclpapakuz         Date:  December 27, 2011         Popularity:  595 views

Related Items

  • No Related Post