1AFC Lpool142630
3Wigan RP151627
As of: 08/12/08 21:39

Gerrard Scores Hat Trick For AFC Liverpool

FC United played host to AFC Liverpool U18s in a first ever clash of the two teams in the first round of the North West Youth Alliance Open Cup.

It was AFC who started the better of the two teams trying to get the ball down and pass it on a pitch were the grass looked a bit long.

FC United had the first chance of the game when the impressive number 7 shot over the bar from the edge of the box.

Moments later AFC had their first positive attack and scored another great team goal when Joe Evans and Dean Williamson combined well and released Jordan Gerrard who finish with vengeance from 10 yards out.

Afc continued to win the personal battles on the pitch with Billy Sutton causing the FC back 4 problems with his powerful and direct approach, and it was a foul on him just inside the FC half that brought about AFC’s second.

Kieron Long put a quality ball in to the area and Gerrard again rose highest to bullet a header in to the top corner.

Half time FC 0 AFC 2

The AFC manager stressed the importance of the next goal in the half time team talk, and it was his AFC side who answered him in the best possible way when Gerrard capitalized on a poor defensive clearance and coolly lobbed the keeper from 30 yards out.

FC now started to play some good stuff and created a good opportunity but AFC keeper Chris Brinksman was up to the task and neatly tipped a curling shot round the post. But there was nothing he could do when FCUM finally scored after good pressure.

The number 7 slipped a great ball into the striker who finished well from a tight angle, much to the delight of a voicerous home line.

The referee now seemed to take centre stage with some curious decisions booking several players and sending the FCUM left back off for what looked like trying to return to the field of play after going off for treatment!!

AFC finally put the game to bed in emphatic stlye when Williamson seized on a poor pass and finished well past the keepers left. As the final whistle blew the referee sent another FC player off for dissent in a game that never warranted so many cautions as it was played in good spirits and the welcome the AFC players and staff received was top class.

So it is AFC who progress into the next round after another 4-1 win.

Ian Porter (AFC manager) gave his man of the match to hat trick hero Jordan Gerrard who scored the perfect hat trick (Right foot, Left foot and a header) although the defence played well together with
Conor Murphy in particular impressing.

So its to Altrincham Youth next week who should provide a big test for the lads as they
finished runners up last season narrowly missing out in the league by a single point.

Final Score: FC United of Manchester 1 AFC Liverpool 4

Report by AFC Liverpool fan Vinster.

(September 14, 2008)