AFC Liverpool

Wigan Robin Park 0 - 4 AFC Liverpool - Match Result

AFC Liverpool cruised into the Semi Final of the Vodkat First Division trophy with a 4-0 win over Wigan Robin Park. With goals from Chris Parkes, Karl Gornell and Liam Coyne.

AFC Liverpool secured their place in the Vodkat North West Counties First Division Trophy semi final with a 4-0 demolition of Wigan Robin Park. In a match that they dominated from start to finish, goals from Chris Parkes and Karl Gornell were added to with two headers from captain Liam Coyne.
Playing on a pitch that allowed the Reds to play their natural passing game with confidence, they had the home side on the back foot from the first whistle. After a lively Andy McCoy had shot wide following a neat turn that took three Wigan players out of the action in one movement, Chris Parkes almost gave the visitors the lead on five minutes.
A wonderful flowing move started with Paul Willis’s throw out finding John Kennedy out on the right. Kennedy knocked it into the feet of Tod Bamber, whose little flick around the corner found McCoy, who turned and chipped down the line. Bamber raced onto the return, heading the ball to keep it in play before delivering a cross onto the six yard line. Had Parkes’ side footed volley been either side of Jason Foulds, then AFC Liverpool would have had a contender for goal of the season but as it was the Wigan keeper managed to turn it behind for a corner.
On twenty three minutes, the Reds’ striker did open the scoring. Picking the ball up from a neat lay off by McCoy, Parkes’ twenty five yard drive was too powerful for Foulds, who got a hand to it but couldn’t prevent the ball from flying into the back of the net.
Comfortable at the back, AFC Liverpool restricted the home side to a few long range efforts that failed to trouble Willis. Dominant in midfield and lively up front, only McCoy’s curling effort from the edge of the area further tested Foulds, but any thoughts of a repeat of the league encounter at the Robin Park Arena were erased within a minute of the restart.
A mistake from Adam Whittle presented Gornell with the opportunity to shoot from the edge of the area and his effort evaded to the diving Foulds to end up in the back of the net.
The home side then had two half chances to pull a goal back. Firstly, Dean Callaway shot wide at an unguarded goal after Paul Willis had raced off his line to deny Andrew Neafcy. Then Willis came off his line for a long throw in into the box without getting near the ball and was grateful that Oliver Summer couldn’t guide his header on target.
Two minutes later, Coyne effectively sealed the result. Rising unchallenged to meet a Phil Stafford free kick, and getting there ahead of Foulds, his header looped into the back of the empty net.
The Robins, to their credit, didn’t give up in their attempt to get back into the match but never looked like they had the invention to break down an assured Red’s back four. Only on one occasion did they get in behind, when Ryan Small raced onto a Neafcy through ball but Small’s lob over the advancing Willis ended up in the side netting.
At the other end, AFC Liverpool were unlucky not to extend their lead when Parkes smashed his effort from eight yards against the bar, before Coyne completed the scoring on 87 minutes when he headed in McCoy’s cross.
Sadly there was to be no fairy tale ending as Coyne attempted to grab his hat-trick right at the death. With the ball loose following Kennedy’s blocked effort, the big man unleashed a shot from fully thirty five yards. Unfortunately for Coyne, his effort sailed over the crossbar as the final whistle was blown.

Match Report by Papakuz

Posted by:  chris08         Date:  March 16, 2010         Popularity:  359 views

Related Items

  • No Related Post