AFC Liverpool

Youth Match Reports 25th September 2011

Click here for the match reports….

Under 7

AFC Liverpool 8 farmers 0

A superb display by the lads today against an unbeaten farmers side.

Paul kyffin opening the scoring with a bullet of a header followed by a well taken goal running down the wing, and putting in a low shot.

The lads then took complete charge of the match with a great goal from Aiden Lunt on his full debut, Finley Riley and Charlie having a solid display in midfield - Finley bagging two goals and super play by James Broughton taking a excellent goal to his tally, Joe bennet having a full debut at right back letting nothing past him, Charlie Holgate getting two goals on a fine display.

Man of the Match: Aiden Lunt with his commitment and attitude

Thanks for the backing of the parents on this display

Next week North Park KO 10.45 long lane

Steve Smith


Under 9


AFC Liverpool 0 vs. River Alt 8

Unfortunate result for the boys again, results are not going our way at the moment, partially due to major changes within the squad and managers.

We will soon get back to our winning ways … (Rome wasn’t built in a day) better luck for next week boys…

Man of the match …Ben Marc Richmond

Under 13

Rainhill & St Helens Saturday league 24-9-11

Blackbrook 3 AFC Liverpool 8

After a bad performance from our team last Saturday the lads turned up with a better attitude and played some good football and scored some fantastic goals. A hatrick for Sean McVeigh, 2 from Nial Walsh, and 1 each for Connor Swain, Danny Bolton, Nathan Carlisle.

Wwell played lads we need to keep the same attitude.

Man of the Match Nial Walsh

Joe Wright


Under 13

Sunday 25-9-11

AFC Liverpool 7 Dunlop 0

The team showed up today and showed great attitude and played some excellent football. We went 2 up after 10mins with both goals coming from our new signing Lewis Baines and the team dominated the rest of the 1st half with more goals coming from Joe Wright, Nial Walsh, Adam Carroll, Connor McBride and Connor Swain. The referee then come over and told us the other team were not going to play the 2nd half so the score stayed 7-0 and the lads were disappointed that the game didn’t get finished. A good weekend for our sat + sun teams after losing both games last weekend.

Joe Wright


Under 14 Walton & Kirkdale league

25th Sept 2011

AFC Liverpool 2 v Acanthus 1

A gritty display from the boys today, despite going down 4 minutes before half time, Mike Taylor unfortunately slipping on a patch of mud allowing Acanthus to take the lead.

HT 0-1

With changes made Callum Lang levelled when Mike Taylor put a ball through for Callum to score. With chances at either end, Callum Lang was then felled in the box and he then tucked away the penalty, good performances from an improving squad. Mike Taylor, James Ackers, Ant McDougall, Callum Lang and Alex Clark to name a few, but Sean Parle got the vote.

Goals-Callum Lang 2

Man of the Match-Sean Parle

Joe Hazard


Under 14 Craven Minor League


Burscough U14 (3) vs. AFC Liverpool U14 (6)

KO 14:00hrs, Abbey Lane, Burscough L40 7SR

A solid performance by AFC under 14’s that saw them register another win on a very heavy pitch in Burscough.

The first half was largely controlled by AFC, who produced some good passing interchanges down each flank, given the pitch conditions. Strong running on the right of midfield from Dave White helped give AFC  a two goal lead in the first half via Luke Banks and also Dave White. The first half lead should have been added to on several other occasions but a combination of the sodden conditions and some wayward finishing meant the teams went it 0-2 at the break.

Burscough seemed to take heart from not being further behind and came out from the half time break quickly and showed some fighting spirit and desire to get back in contention. Strong running up front from the Burscough forwards and some AFC inaccuracy meant the home team drew level at 2-2 midway through the second half and the match turned very scrappy for a period, during which both team scored again before AFC dug in and scored another three goals in the last 15 minutes.

James Tyrer produced some quality play down the left hand side and three promising debuts from Declan Williams, Tom Keller and Joshua Wright assisted AFC in gaining all three points. The team showed real character after Burscough tried to harry and pressurise during the their second half fight back and every AFC player played their part in some exceedingly tiring conditions which didn’t lend itself to the normal passing football the AFC lads have become use to playing.

Two goals apiece for Luke Banks, Declan Williams, and Dave White along with forceful displays from the other AFC players secured a good win but they ultimately made the job much harder that it should have been because of missed opportunities during the first half.

Daniel Blair


Under 15

AFC Liverpool 1 - Liscard Panthers 2

Plymyard 3 Pitch, Bridle Road, Bromborough 25 September 2011 2:30 Kick Off

At home, but still without a full squad to choose from due to the illness of Paddy Jones, but with Shaun Creighton having recovered from his broken thumb, he went back in to the team for our preferred 4-4-2 formation.

The early play was one of confidence from the home side, but it was the visitors who were to score first, after 5 minutes; a bobbling ball was not picked up by the midfield and their forwards were straight on to it. The resulting sliced shot wrong footed Jimmy and found the back of the net; 1-0 to the Panthers.

AFC regrouped and pulled themselves together for a number of attacks that were broken down by the visitors who, to their credit, broke quickly for the counter. Sterling work from Liam Hall at right back, and decisive saves from our industrious keeper kept the score level.

With 17 minutes gone, after another fine save from Jimmy, he rolled the ball out to Sam Casey at left back, who coolly beat his man in mid field to thread the ball through to the vigilant Mikey Dodd at left mid, who raced deep in to the final third, imperiously leaving the opposition in his trail, to lay off a fine ball for Alexander Northover near the corner flag. Alexander steadied the ball and then ran parallel to the goal line, beating two defenders then faced the oncoming keeper.

He was practically inline with the net, 10 yards out when he nutmegged the Panther’s keeper and pulled one back for the hosts.

AFC Liverpool 1- Liscard Panthers 1.

Stunned by the equaliser, the panthers pushed men forward, trying to win the ball in midfield for their attackers to run on to. However, further industry from the tricky Callum Morrison, cut through the Panther’s defence having turned his men on a number of occasions, but not to the satisfaction of the referee who claimed that he was offside.

The score was to remain level until half time. After the break, with the midfield battle hotting up, Callum was reluctantly sacrificed for Dion George to make an impact, as we switched to a 4-5-1 formation. AFC looked the more dangerous side, with plenty of possession and a number of efforts being saved by the visiting keeper, after having been floated in by Ben Jafrate and Lewis Galer. Still quick to counter, our midfield was most effective at breaking up the visitors play, such that the longer range efforts being made, were saved magnificently by Jimmy.

Ben Dunn at right wing continued to make a nuisance of himself for the home team, but the resistance of the visitors held. Time and again AFC Liverpool were able to forge convincing attacks, but as the game advanced, the Panthers were starting to defend in numbers.

One such repost, left Alexander Northover nursing a clipped ankle and Callum Morrison returned to lead the line. More incisive midfield invention from Mikey Dodd on the left released Callum on a number of occasions, but the Panthers were able to counter.

Then, with five minutes remaining the Panthers were awarded a free kick just beyond the penalty arc. Jimmy built his wall, but the resulting ball in to the box was beyond him as he was impeded by a Panther’s attacker, whilst the referee failed to notice the two off side Panther’s players to his left on the goal line. The referee ignored the pleas from the home side…AFC Liverpool 1 - Liscard Panthers 2

Despite being a bit sore, Alexander came on in place of Ben Dunn as we pushed for another equaliser from three forwards, but with the few minutes remaining, it was beyond the home side and so it stayed  AFC Liverpool 1 - Liscard Panthers 2.

A great disappointment as we played impeccably and deserved, at the very least, a point from the game.

Jimmy’s fearless efforts in goal were recognised by the away manager, who gave him man of the match, which he deserved, but as a whole, the Team were superb.  More performances like that from AFC Liverpool will undoubtedly reap the rewards that their endeavours demand.

Howard Northover



St Anne’s Rovers 3 AFC Liverpool 2

AFC started the game against last season’s league champions really brightly and had 2 goals harshly disallowed inside the first 10 minutes by the referee, who had previously had an unsuccessful trial with the AFC under 16s squad. Despite that disappointment the lads continued to dominate the game with excellent pass and move attacking football and should have really opened the scoring before we finally got the first goal with 5 minutes of the half remaining.

The goal came after a great move by the young Reds, found Rhys Jones on the edge of the area and his through ball allowed Adam Campbell to lob the keeper to make it 1-0. The 2nd goal came almost immediately, a great move down the right set Josh Hamilton free and his low driven cross found Campbell who smashed home with his left foot for his and AFC’s 2nd of the game.

We let St Anne’s back into the game 5 minutes after the restart when they pulled a goal back and 5 minutes after that they were level when the referee awarded them a penalty which gave James Cope no chance in the AFC goal. After that the rest of the game was pretty even with St Anne’s direct, physical approach to the game and AFC’s passing style of play providing a very entertaining game.

The home side got what proved to be the winner with 7 minutes remaining when they were awarded another penalty which was fired into the corner to put Rovers 3-2 up. James Petches almost earned a point for AFC in the last minute after John Edgertons cross found him at the back post but he fired his volley into the side netting. The lads were very disappointed at the end with the result and some of the decisions that didn’t go our way, but if they can maintain the very high standard of football that they set today then the future looks very bright indeed.

Griff Jones


Under 17

Free date this week

Ron Royston


Posted by:  karlos         Date:  September 27, 2011         Popularity:  368 views

Related Items

  • No Related Post