AFC Liverpool

Youth teams - Match Reports 19th September 2011

Match reports for all youth teams week commencing 14th September.

Under 7’s

AFC Liverpool 8 Eldonians 1

The mighty reds continued their unbeaten record today with an 8-1 win over Eldonians who had an unbeaten record until today.

The goals were scored by Paul Kyffin 3, two goals from James Broughton, and one each from Finley Riley, Steve Bennet and Ellis McCartney.

Another solid defensive performance, with some great tackles being made by Lleyton Riley, Joe Bennett and Cayden Donovan and great saves from John Hayes. Man of the Match went to Lleyton Riley.

Match next week 9.30 kick-off against The Farmers.

Steve Smith


Under 14’s Craven Minor League

Wednesday 14th of September 2011.  Carr Lane, Southport.

Birkdale Utd Blacks 1 v AFC Liverpool 6

Another fine performance saw AFC record their second win in 3 games.  AFC proved that their hard work and effort put in during pre-season is now paying off.

From the beginning of the game the team played with pace and purpose whilst playing some excellent passing football.  Patrick Blair scored his first goal of the season from a long range effort that the keeper failed to handle.  AFC did not settle for their one goal lead and scored another two goals before the break, with excellent finishes from Liam Werth and Ross Bailey.

The half time break did not affect AFC’s focus and the goal scoring continued in the second half with a superb run and finish by David White.

Birkdale attempted to get back in the game but this only left AFC with more space to exploit and they did with further goals from Luke Banks and Danny Dooley.  Birkdale did score a consolation goal towards the end of the game which was frustrating for the defence as they had been exceptional all game, marshalled well by Liam Werth & Ross Bailey.

Paul Nield


Under 14’s  Walton & Kirkdale league

18th Sept 2011

AFC Liverpool 4 v North Park 3

AFC secured their 2nd win of the season with a hard fought win against a determined North Park team, AFC took the lead when James Ackers rose in the box to head back across goal for Callum Lang to nod in.

AFC were pegged back when the ball rebounded off the post straight to the opposition on the edge of the box and from the resulting shot, squeezed under Mike Taylor on the stroke of half time.

HT 1-1

AFC went behind early in the second half, a test of character was needed. Callum Lang levelled when a speculative shot flew into the top corner of the net from the corner of the box 2-2.

Sean Parle with some good work broke into the box on the left and squared to Callum Lang 3-2.

It was soon 4-2 when Callum Lang then set up Liam Van Gelder to fire home. The game was over when unfortunately in the last minute Adam Handford with a slight tug in the box gave away a penalty which was scored 4-3

Goals-Liam Van Gelder 1, Callum Lang 3

MOM-Callum Lang

Joe Hazard


Under 15’s

West Kirby Wasps 4 AFC Liverpool 1

16th September 2011 Hoylake 6.00 Kick Off

Away to the “Wasps” and without Sean Creighton at Centre Half, we enlisted Paddy Jones to deputise; it was to be a baptism of fire.

The early play went the way of the hosts, with AFC looking decidedly jaded from a punishing week of school football. The attacking play from Wasps left AFC flat footed on a number of occasions.

But when a header back to goal wasn’t convincing enough, a fierce shot made it 1-0 to the home side. Further sloppy play later on in the first half saw the ball bounce clear of the defence and the Wasps run in to double their lead, which is how it stayed until half time.

In to the second half and AFC started to look a bit brighter with some surging runs which were being thwarted by the large physical presence of the Wasps defence, however, it was the Wasps who were to prosper from more overlapping play that we struggled to contain, resulting in two further goals, to leave us with a mountain to climb at 4-0.

Still, we didn’t give up and when Alexander Northover picked the ball up on the left, just inside the Wasps half, he weaved his way through the midfield and defence, before curling the ball past the keeper, to grab the consolation goal and perhaps earn him the man of the match award.

A disappointment to see our unbeaten run end, although we were up against a well disciplined team.

Howard Northover


Under 15’s

Stork Youth 6 AFC Liverpool 2

18th September 2011 Ship Canal Ground, 2.30 kick off Eastham

Away to Stork and at their new home, we were still without Shaun Creighton, so Paddy Jones was again on hand. Straight from the kick off, the ball was laid off to Mikey Dodd, who ran from deep at the left mid to round the Stork defence and rifle a shot under their hapless keeper; 1-0 after only a minute.

The game restarted and the ball was threaded through to Alexander Northover who took the same route as Mikey and found the net from the same place and with a left foot shot: 2-0 after two minutes.

The tempo then took a turn for the worse and the interlinking play from Stork was causing problems for the visitors and the home side capitalised by beating our off side trap to make it 2-1.Further lethargy saw the equaliser before half time, but the lead was to be taken by the home side straight from the kick off in the second half.

The midfield was then changed, but AFC still couldn’t deal with the long balls raining down in to the final third, nor break up play in the midfield, such that the hosts were able to extend their lead by four goals without further reply from AFC Liverpool. This culminated in a thoroughly demoralising end to the match that had seen a commanding lead of conviction evaporate and lead to an abject defeat, with our second loss on the road.

Man of the Match went to Connor Branscombe

Howard Northover


Under 16’s

Hillfoot 3 AFC Liverpool 0

The Under 16’s were beaten 3-0 by Hillfoot at Jericho Lane on Sunday morning. AFC were dealt a blow before the game really got going with two players getting injured in the first 15 minutes. Centre half Chris Lowe and striker James Petches had to be substituted before Hillfoot took the lead.

The goal came from a Hillfoot free kick just outside the penalty area which James Cope tipped onto the post only for an opposition attacker to react first an tap in to make it 1-0. A few minutes’ later things got worse for AFC when Jack Lunt, another centre half had to come off injured.

AFC started the 2nd half with 2 full backs playing centre half and central midfielder Ste Clarke filling in at right back. Even with players playing out of position the boys still had the majority of possession and were still creating chances only to be undone by 2 long clearances that the speedy Hillfoot attacker got on the end of to score 2 goals in the final 10 minutes to make the score 3-0 to Hillfoot.

Griff Jones


Under 17’s


On a wet and blustery day a ray of sunlight from the lads today with a well fought 7.2 victory .With early goals from Matty Tyrer and Jack Wilding we took control of the game early into the first half on what was a difficult pitch.

With one way traffic a goal was coming when up popped Matty Tyrer for his second and AFC’s third. With goals from Cameron Chambers and Jack Wilding the half finished 5.0 .The second half was much tougher as we looked like we had switched off as west lancs got 2 goals back to make it 5.2 to AFC. However any hopes of a comeback where short lived as Marley Hamilton added number six followed by Cameron chambers with number seven .

Another good result from the lads well done and thanks to Terry and the lads from west lancs for a great game.

P.S The lads looked great in the new kit thanks to Kev for getting ready for today’s game

Ron Royston


Posted by:  karlos         Date:  September 19, 2011         Popularity:  342 views

Related Items

  • No Related Post