AFC Liverpool

Youth teams Match Reports

Week commencing 1st October 2011….

Under 7

AFC Liverpool 12-1 North Park

Yet again a fantastic performance from the lads including full debuts for four players. The lads let in a sloppy goal to go behind in the first five minutes, and then it was all uphill from there taking a 2-1 lead into half time with goals from Steve Bennett and Aidan Lunt.

In the second half the lads totally outclassed the opposition easing in another 10 goals with Finley Riley scoring 4, Charlie Holgate with 3, Paul Kyffin scoring 2 and Ellis McCartney with 1. We also have to praise a strong defensive performance by Joe Bennett, Leighton Riley, Caiden Donovan and a solid performance in goal by John Hayes. With there also being a strong midfield battle being won by captain for the day Joe Fury and James Broughton.

Man of the Match going to the reliable Finley Riley.

Next Match 9th October, 10:45 kick-off against NSC at long lane.

Steve and the lads

Under 13

Sat 1st October

AFC Liverpool 16- Paramount 1

The lads played well today in the 1st round of the Tesco cup and dominated the game from start to finish. The Goals were scored by Connor Swain 4, Nathan Carlisle 4, Sam Price 3, jack Johnston, Joe Wright, Sean McVeigh,Nial Walsh, josh wignall.

Well played lads

Joe Wright


Sunday 2nd October

AFC Liverpool 8 Halewood 2

Another good performance from the team today the effort was excellent all over the pitch. Goals, Connor swain 3, Joe Wright 2, Nial Walsh, Nathan Carlisle, Sean McVeigh.

The lads we’re brilliant this weekend

Let’s keep the effort up lads

Joe Wright

Under 14 Walton & Kirkdale league

2nd October 2011

AFC Liverpool 4 v Rice Lane 1

If there was ever a game of two halves this was it, AFC started slow and never got going at all in the 1st half, Rice Lane looked up for it, but the ball seemed to land at the opposition players feet every time, very frustrating and it was topped off when Rice Lane scored with an unbelievable strike from their midfielder, running onto a loose ball and hitting the ball from just inside our half, right into the top corner

HT 0-1

We changed a few players for the 2nd half, and the response was immediate, we looked busy and ready to have a go, we drew level when Joe Hazard struck from 25 yards, the ball squeezing past the keeper, hitting the post and going in. This calmed us down and we started to play, Callum Lang put us ahead when he reached the ball 1st to nod past the keeper,2-1,the game had swung our way and we were controlling the midfield, James Ackers then struck when his free kick took the slightest of touches off a head to make it 3-1,chances were coming thick and fast and we looked dangerous in every attack, Alex Clark giving a brilliant 2nd half display. The game was drawing out when Alex Clark was brought down in the box in the last minute, Callum Lang tucking the penalty away 4-1

Goals-Callum Lang 2, Joe Hazard 1, James Ackers 1

MOM-Alex Clark

Joe Hazard


Under 14 Craven Minor League

Sunday 2nd Oct 2011.  Sandy Lane, Lydiate (L31 4DW)

AFC Liverpool (5) vs. Burscough (0)

The under 14’s fashioned a very solid display at home in the first round of the Allan Langfeld Cup that saw them beat Burscough 5–0.

The performance was based on some sturdy and unyielding defending from Liam Worth and Ross Bailey who controlled the strong Burscough forward line with support from both of their wing backs; Ryan Patterson and James Tyrer. James produced a display full of energy and running which saw him over lapping the midfield on numerous occasions and creating several chances down the left hand side.

The Liverpool midfield controlled the game with pace and purpose whilst playing some quality football and they used the full width of the pitch to their advantage during a number of flowing moves. Some smart pass and move football produced excellent defence splitting passes from the midfielders who also displayed some strong support running for the attackers.

The strikers worked extremely hard to keep the Burscough defence under pressure throughout the match and linked well with the midfield and helped in creating a number of scoring opportunities.

The first half saw Matty Davies break the dead lock and score after he had chased down a Burscough defender and also the keeper; he got his just deserts by forcing the ball into the back of the net. The second was scored by Declan Williams who coolly slotted home after being put through one on one with the keeper following a well worked and decisive move.

After the half time break Liverpool pushed on and looked to put the game out of reach and have their names in the next round of the cup. Joshua Wright latched on to a great through ball to lob the advancing keeper and get his name on the score sheet; Josh Wilkinson saw a long range attempt from close to the side-line loop into the net and a fierce drive from Declan Williams put the game beyond doubt.

A good all-round football display from the AFC lads with every single player showing commitment and effort.

Daniel Blair


Under 15

Ridgewood Rangers 2 v AFC Liverpool 2

Plymyard 8 , 2nd October 2011 , 2.30 pm Kick Off

Following the unusual heat wave of recent days, the rain that had softened the pitch in the early morning, was probably to benefit both
teams for a match in a much more typical autumn afternoon.

Still not able to choose from a full squad, due to the injury of Aaron Cross, our versatile utility player, we opted for the favoured 4:4:2 formation, away to Ridgewood at their new home.  Our Captain, Dion George who was nursing a thigh strain and Ben Dunn at right wing, was hampered by a heavy cold. But both had made themselves available for selection.

This time, Ridgewood had their previously absent centre forward, number 17 Robinson, who had terrorised our defence in last year’s cup fixture, so this was going to be a tough reverse fixture for us.

AFC Liverpool were equally committed from the kick off as their hosts, although Ridgewood, with our former player, Connor McCappin, looked to have some of the early opportunities by trying to break up the play in midfield, to release their attack.

Committed, as always, but showing signs that his match fitness has yet to return, after breaking his thumb early in the season, Shaun Creighton was still challenging in the aerial bombardment from the home side, when he was substituted by Paddy Jones, who was to stick to his man marking role well, with his special brand of no-nonsense defensive

With Jimmy Rainford in fine form, the long range shots from Ridgewood were confidently collected, as both teams played some very open football, in an effort to finding an opening….but, with five minutes of the first half remaining, the Ridgewood midfield moved forward with purpose, a player broke forward and crossed from just outside the area, where the ball was met magnificently by their number 17, whose looping header narrowly beat Jimmy Rainford in the top left hand corner to make it 1-0 to the hosts.

After the break, the same team took to the field of play and the early chances fell to the visitors, building from the sure left foot of Sam Casey, who was linking well with Mikey Dodd at left mid; eventually the ball drifted over to Callum Morrison, who shot from 30 yards out, to
beat the Ridgewood keeper, but not the woodwork. The ball ricocheted off the post, but because he had his shot away so early and from such distance, AFC were unable to capitalise on the rebound and the opportunity faded.

Moments later though, Callum Morrison was not to be denied again; finding himself in space on the right hand side, this time, his first touch was exquisite, but the subsequent shot was imperious, curling around the diving Ridgewood keeper to level the score at 1-1.

With Dion George having played his heart out in the centre of the park, his niggling injury was to take it’s toll and he was replaced by Ben Dunn, meaning a reshuffle in the midfield.

The enforced change saw the powerhouse work ethic of Thomas Breslin take up where Dion had left off, as he came in to the centre, allowing Ben Dunne to form an impressive partnership with Ben Jafrate that had meant that “Jaffa” had caused himself to be a thorn in the side of Ridgewood all day. If plenty of the wrong type of attention can be deemed flattery, then picking up quite a few fouls in the days play was a mark of how skilled his endeavours had been.

Still, in an evenly fought match, which had  called upon all of the tenacity and presence of our stalwart centre half Connor Branscombe on many occasions, there were chances available to both sides as each pushed on for the winner.

After 30 minutes of the second half, the home side put together another flowing attack which saw a rare moment of confusion in the defence and the ball floated in to the net from short range: 2-1 to Ridgewood.

AFC Liverpool was made of sterner stuff today than had been hoped for from the hosts and stuck to their task well. Mikey Dodd had made a nuisance of himself all day on the left and he wasn‘t about to give up now. Both teams were starting to feel the pressure of the game and the fresh legs of Liam Hall had been brought on to replace the solid right back of Lewis Galer, whose earlier curling balls in to the box had been useful, but ultimately unrewarded.

With five minutes of the game remaining a fine ball from Jaffa, released Alexander Northover, whose surging run in to the area saw him beat three men, before unleashing a savage shot that left the keeper no chance: AFC Liverpool 2 Ridgewood Rangers 2.

Into the dying minutes of the game, yet AFC Liverpool continued to press, with Mikey Dodd performing superhuman breaks from midfield and recovering from some very robust challenges, but we weren’t able to find a winner, settling instead for a hard earned point.

A very pleasing performance from all of the players, who deserved particular recognition for the sterling effort that they all put in, but the decision went the way of the day’s man of the match: number 8,
Callum Morrison.

Howard Northover


Posted by:  karlos         Date:  October 5, 2011         Popularity:  571 views

Related Items

  • No Related Post