1AFC Lpool213345
2Wigan R P192139
As of: 16/02/09 14:30

Ashton Town Reserves v AFC Liverpool Reserves

Ashton Town Reserves (1) - AFC Liverpool Reserves (3)

On a windswept Ashton Athletic pitch next to the M6, AFC Liverpool reserves took to the field against Ashton Town reserves.
AFCL went on the attack from the off and pinned Ashton Town back in to their own half.
Constant attacking paid off after 8 mins when Jonathon Bathurst put the ball in the net to give AFCL a deserved lead.
The reserves where in total control of the game and created about 6 good goal scoring chances. Bathurst could have scored 5 or 6 in the first half alone. Ashton hardly passed the half way line and when they did, the back 4 worked well as a unit to deny them any joy with some tough defending. Right back Dean Jones didnt let anything past him at all with some fiesty defending.
Centre half’s Phil Ojapah and captain Mark Gregory won everything that came their way, and left back Dean Connolly at left back managed to keep the winger quiet, while starting several attacks.

The one time Ashton managed to get in to the box they where thwarted by a fantastic save by keeper Dave Cator who tipped a goalbound header over the bar. The half time score of Ashton Town 0 AFC Liverpool 1 wasnt a fair reflection of the game. A score of 0-6 would have been.

The Ashton lads must have had the hairdryer treatment off their manager, as they came out for the 2nd half and looked more determined to get back in to the game.
They created more and put the back 4 under a lot more pressure. The reds held firm and got back in to the game and started to play football and create more chances.
The skilfull Matthew Cushion got a grip in the middle helped by the tough tackling Chris Rimmer and the flying wingers Mark Ashurst and Andy Olsen.

AFCL increased their lead after 59 mins when a ball from Cushion between the defenders was put away by Jon Bathurst to score his 2nd of the day.
Subs Chris Hawes and Lee Baker where brought on to replace Ashurst and Olsen.
Ashton managed to pull one back when a fierce shot was parried out by Cator and the forward managed to slot home the rebound. For 10 mins after, AFCL where put under some pressure as Ashton had their best spell inthe game by far. Some tough tackling by the back 4 kept Ashton at bay and we managed to restore the 2 goal lead as Chris Hawes scored to make the score 3-1.
David Ojapah and Jon Bathurst made the back 4 work hard all game long and didnt give them a minutes peace.

John Moran and his assistant Chris Myers have got a good young side who play good football where it should be played - on the floor and to feet. Chris’s warm up a gentle 40 mins that would make boxers cringe.

A great performance that saw the best of everything from the lads. Total control in the first half and some good defending and fighting spirit in the 2nd.

The next game for the reserves at Bootle Tuesday 26th aug (TBC). If you you can make it along to support the lads then you should. you will see some good football.


1 Dave Cator
2 Dean Jones
3 Dean Connolly
4 Phil Ojapah
5 Mark Gregory Captain
6 Chris Rimmer
7 Mark Ashurst (Baker 80 mins)
8 Matthew Cushion
9 Jon Bathurst
10 David Ojapah
11 Andy Olsen (Hawes 75mins)

Bathurst 8
Bathurst 59
Hawes 84

Lee Baker
Chris Hawes
GK Sam Mass unused.

Many thanks to Tommy Cook for Match Report

(August 17, 2008)