AFC Liverpool

Youth Teams - New Website Feature

Starting from this season, AFC Liverpool are proud announce that we will be featuring reports and information from our entire Youth Setup. Included in this article are the reports for the Under 7’s and Under 15’s.

Youth Development Officer Paul Young told us “As part of the clubs plan to provide a professionally ran genuine grass-roots football club that always puts the fans first, we have decided to intensifying our youth development strategy. We hope to provide a genuine route for young player’s to progress through into our own first team and also give opportunities into League Academy’s and Centres of Excellence.

To facilitate this, I have been brought in as our Youth Development Officer; and have been asked to build a structure that can provide a strong AFC Liverpool youth identity with opportunities for juniors to join our set up that will be based around playing, teaching and encouraging passing football throughout all age groups.

This is the second year I have been affiliated with AFC Liverpool, and originally started coaching youth teams because of the lack of opportunities for juniors to join a group that was based around passing football and player development.

As part of this new role I have already started to develop playing and coaching collaborations with Liverpool FC and Tranmere Rovers as well as other Northwest teams, with a number of our players already having trials or being monitored as players to watch.  I have also increased the amount of youth teams affiliated to AFC and expanded the overall age range of our youth teams.”

We are always looking to bring in quality players that we can help develop as a player and that can enhance our current youth set up. If you want to know more about becoming affiliated with the AFC Liverpool Youth set-up please contact Paul at [email protected]

Match Reports 4/09/11

Under 7’s

Great result today. Brilliant performance by all. They were up for it from the start, but against all odds went down 1-0, after that it was all one way with the forwards taking the game to Quarry Green, Charlie Holgate firing in a first half hat-trick then Paul Kyffin getting his hat-trick, the midfield took charge and giving the subs a run out, Finlay Riley scored a brilliant 5 goals, two free kicks from 20 yards and Steve Bennett scoring his goal with a good run through the defence. Roll on next week !

Final score:

AFC Liverpool U7’s  12-1 Quarry Green.

Man of the Match, Charlie Holgate.

Report: Steve Smith -Manager

Under 13

AFC Liverpool 6 v 0 Copperas Hill

The lads played some really good football today, with some great passing between the players. Copperas Hill started the game well, and closed down our players quickly, and tried not to give us time on the ball.
Our first goal came from a corner which was headed in by Joe Wright, the 2nd came a couple of minutes later after some good passing.

Joe Wright again ran through on goal and slotted past the keeper.

Half Time: 2-0 .

The 2nd half was a very good performance from our team. The 3rd goal came from a well worked corner from Sean McVeigh, which ended up in jacko scoring a long range shot. The 4th goal came from a free kick which the Copperas Hill goalkeeper tipped onto the post and Callum Wright tapped home from 2 yards out.
The 5th goal came from some great passing again which was finished off into the bottom corner from Nial Walsh.
The final goal came from Connor Swain who rounded the keeper to score a good individual goal.
I was really pleased with the team’s performance today, and I’m really looking forward to next week’s games.

Well played lads, let’s keep it up

Joe Wright


Under 14 Walton & Kirkdale League

AFC Liverpool 4 v Kenbury Boys 1

With a full squad to choose from, AFC raced into a 3-0 half time lead with Liam Van Gelder (2) and Callum Lang scoring their 1st goals of the season. Kenbury pulled 1 back just after the restart when unfortunately from a corner the ball drifted into the top corner of the goal.

AFC piled on the pressure and were rewarded when Callum Lang broke free to add a 4th.

A confident start to the season.

Goals-Liam Van Gelder 2, Callum Lang 2

Man of the Match: Connah Scott

Joe Hazard - Manager

Under 15

AFC Liverpool 4 - Ridgewood Rangers 3

Home Plymyard 3 Pitch,

Bridle Road,


The first game of the season saw the Under 15s at home to the team that had put them out of the second round of the cup convincingly last season, and also lured away one of our more versatile players. The pitch had benefited from the rest, which added to the fine weather for what promised to be a great fixture - spectators weren’t to be disappointed in a fiercely contested opener.

The earliest opportunity fell to the home side on 5 minutes, after the first of many physical challenges, that were to set the tone of the match and a free kick was awarded some 35 yards out. The ensuing free kick was looped perfectly in to the box by our right back, Lewis Galer, finding Ben Dunn beautifully at the left post, who controlled it, before rifling a shot under a helpless Ridgewood keeper: 1 - 0 to AFC Liverpool.

Startled by the ease of the first set piece to be conceded, the visitors upped their game, but were to be thwarted again by more tricky play from the Reds, when Alexander Northover latched on to a through ball from Thomas Breslin and surged down the left hand side, before running on to their keeper and nutmegging him to double the score. Again the visitors pushed for their equaliser, with a succession of long range shots that barely troubled our goal, but the home team continued to press with some fine passing and Ben Jafrate bossing the midfield, with some great overlapping play.

Ultimately, this led to Callum Morrison in space, whose shot was blocked; the return was then teed up by Callum for Alexander, who made it 3-0 with a 20 yard left foot drive that nestled in the bottom left hand corner. By this time, Ridgewood were starting to become even more physical and when a loose ball wasn’t cleared, the visitors capitalised with a close range effort from inside the six yard box, to make it 3-1, which is how it stayed until half time.

Second half, and the visitors piled on further pressure with a series of long range shots and an increasing dominance in midfield, before Alexander Northover made another run in to the penalty area, the resulting tackle nearly up-ended him, but he stayed on his feet to leave the ball for the onrushing Ben Dunn who was clear through on goal before being brought down in the area. Ben stood up to take the resulting penalty which was almost saved by the Ridgewood keeper, who was only defeated by the power and accuracy of the ball, to his right hand side: 4-1.

After that, the visitors pressed at every opportunity, which eventually saw them pick up the ball by our corner flag. Their number 7 (and man of the match) then made a fine individual run to score and make it 4-2.Their pressure continued and eventually saw a third goal from the visitors, when they scored from a player who moved from a questionable offside position; the referee waved away our protests: 4-3.The game swung one way then the other, with our keeper, Jimmy Rainford  heroically keeping our lead intact, plus a spirited performance from  Connor Branscombe at centre half, despite an earlier injury, returning to the field. Although we had a few opportunities to really wrap things up late on, the game finished 4-3, after 5 minutes of extra time and AFC Liverpool claiming the opening first three points in a nail biting finish. A promising start from a great team effort in the top flight with a true baptism of fire.

Howard Northover


Under 16

AFC Liverpool 1 Accrington Stanley 0

The Under 16s finished their preparations for the new season with an impressive 1-0 win against Accrington Stanley’s Under 16 Centre of Excellence team.

AFC who were without 6 players due to family holidays and injuries, started the game the livelier of the two teams with Josh Cotton and Leighton Kearns dominating the centre of midfield.

There were no clear cut chances created in the first 20 minutes although AFC had Accrington scrambling to clear the ball from the numerous short corner routines from Rhys Jones, John Edgerton and Josh Hamilton.

Rhys Jones scored what proved to be the winner after 25 minutes with a cool finish after a great team move. A clearance out of the AFC defence went forward to Adam Campbell who played the ball into Edgertons path with a great first time ball, Edgerton then took the ball past the full back before cutting the ball back for Jones to fire into the corner of the net.

Stanley didn’t create much during the first half as the centre half pairing of Ryan Davies and Chris Lowe were in fine form heading and clearing everything that came their way. Accrington had a bit more possession during the 2nd half than they did in the first, but it was AFC that had the better chances. The best chance of the half came when Andy O’Hare played a through ball for Rhys Jones to race clear of the defence and chip the on rushing keeper from 20 yards, only for the ball to land just wide of the post. During the last 15 minutes Stanley put pressure on the AFC goal, but the lads still tried to play their way out rather than just hoofing the ball away, with full backs Ray Maxwell and Joe Brooks both attacking and defending superbly. Goalkeeper James Cope, a recent signing for AFC from Accrington, showed good handling and was quick off his line throughout the game will no doubt be delighted to have kept a clean sheet against his former team.

The Accrington coaching staff said after the game they were very impressed with the attitude and style with which our boys played, and offered 3 of the players trials with the League 2 club.

Griff Jones


Posted by:  karlos         Date:  September 6, 2011         Popularity:  874 views

Related Items

  • No Related Post